Friday, November 9, 2007

Starting IVF and how it is..... (supressing drugs)


Buserelin: During a normal cycle, the release of an egg depends on a hormone produced by the pituitary gland. This is called Luteinizing Hormone, or LH. Buserelin blocks the release of this hormone so that premature ovulation and subsequent loss of the eggs cannot occur.

Well we started our Buserelin on the morning of 23 October. We had to take 400 micrograms. This involved wiping the bottle of fluid with an alcohol prep swab and the area on my stomach where I was injecting. Then I inserted the needle into the bottle, holding the bottle up, I would draw to the 50 marker on the side and then push it slowly back up to the 40. This sort of helped to prevent air bubbles in the syringe. Then I removed the needle and flicked the side of the syringe to make sure there were no tiny hidden bubbles. I then pinched the skin slightly on my stomach and slide the needle directly into the skin. Push all the fluid in gently, wait 5 seconds or so and then withdraw the needle. Woohoo - done....
It actually wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It helps if you hold the needle with the sharpest point down so that hits the skin first and seems to pierce the skin more smoothly. I iced the point for the first 2 days but didn't bother again, it hasn't really seemed necessary. I have bled a couple of times and have a few bruises but all in all - it's not so bad!!!
Side effects - I think I've been really lucky - I've heard some horror stories. But - for me tiredness would have to be possibly my only side effect and the odd moment of sadness according to Miles.

I think it's really important to have a few friends to be able to discuss the ins and outs of IVF. I have a great group of email friends on twoweekwait.com who have all been through/or going through IVF and another friend who has just given birth to a beautiful little IVF baby girl - it's great to talk about the nitty gritty stuff with people who have felt what you have felt. But it's also beneficial to have those who support you but haven't been through the process either.

No comments: