Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Egg Retrevial (ER)

Thank goodness that's all over. Last night I became increasingly uncomfortable. I felt like I was 5 months pregnant or something. My stomach was swollen and it was hard to be able to sit/lie comfortably. Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well.
The trigger injection was easy - it was already pre-filled so I just had to unwrap it and stick it in very similar to the previous ones. The needle part was definitely way thicker than the others but I had no problems.
This morning we got to the clinic early. I was taken into a room by a nurse where I was asked to change into a beautiful hospital gown. I was given an oral sedative and then they took my blood pressure, temperature and weight.
Next a scientist came in and introduced herself and asked if I had any questions. Then the Doctor came in and inserted a drip into the back of my left hand. By then I was starting to get a bit woozy!! They led me to the operating theater and I was put onto the chair with the good ol' familiar stirrups. They injected some anesthetic into my drip and then the doctor explained what he was going to do. The needles were horrendously large - enough to make you want to shut your legs and wheel yourself right out of there!! Basically I watched the whole procedure on the screen next to me. The Dr injected more anesthetic into my ovaries and then used an extra long needle to pass into the ovary, you can see them clearly puncture the follicle and the fluid be sucked away. Then the Dr said "change" to the consultant who removed a test tube three quarters filled with fluid and handed it to the embryologist. She then checked for an egg. This happened numerous times until the doctor felt he had cleared them all. Turns out my bladder kept getting in the way so at one point he ended up puncturing that and draining it. (Guess it saved me from having to go straight away after surgery!!) The only other issue we had was he had to leave a few follicles behind as they were down really low below my bladder and too close to major blood vessels.
So final numbers : 17 eggs !!!
We were pretty happy with that result. We find out tomorrow morning how many were mature, how many fertilized thus far and also when we will do our transfer.
I've felt fairly uncomfortable all day but only stayed at the clinic after the procedure for about an hour. Enough time to have a relax in a bed, a tiny snooze and then a cup of tea and a muffin. The rest of the day has been spent mostly on the couch as it's more painful sitting and standing. Think it will be an early night for me...

No comments: